An unnoticed leak in your roof can cause a great deal of damage on both the structure and the interior of your home. The stress it causes and the money it costs can be hugely reduced if you spot it early enough. In this article we’ll give you some tips on how to check for the signs of a leak.
As the almost constant rain of winter gives way to occasional sunny days we do a lot of roof inspections checking for & tracking down the leaks large and small in roofs across Merseyside.
A leaking roof can be hard to spot, it can take months before a slow leak can become apparent in your property. The damage can be enormous if a leaking roof is allowed to slowly soak the timber, bricks & mortar below. Catching it & getting it repaired fast is the key.
Keeping an eye out for the hallmarks of a leak can save you thousands in the long run, it’s not rocket science and needs no special training.
What to look out for
- Standing water is quite an obvious sign, it’s likely you can trace the point on the ceiling or wall that the water is emerging from, remember the roof leak may not be directly above.
- Streaks or stains can be found on walls & ceilings from the slow progress of moisture through the plaster. The effect can be dramatic & hard to miss or more subtle and difficult to spot. Discolouration with a visible ‘water margin’ is the hall mark to watch out for.
- Mould will be found where moisture permeates an organic surface and time takes it’s course, checking wooden joints for a slimy green or very dark green layer with white damp tissue will show mould up easily.
- Peeling wallpaper could be evidence only of some dodgy DIY, however corners turning up at the ceiling in particular can indicate the presence of excessive moisture, if you find this occurs. Investigate further and look for signs of the leak.
- Leak hunting – If a leak is suspected you may find yourself in the attic. Look for wet insulation and damp beams, a bright light is essential to show up the glistening droplets. If you don’t see any signs, stay suspicious! The leak may be subtle, running water along the inside of the roof structure in places impossible to see. Checking the whole house will help confirm or suspend your fears of a leaking roof.
If you think you’ve got a leak the only way to be sure of it’s location is to perform a roof check from the outside. Water can travel along the roof structure depositing the moisture far from the actual cracked tile or leak felt roof. Flat roofing in particular is liable to leak in peculiar places with the run off going in any direction making detection particularly difficult.
A quick check from a qualified roofer is always worth it if a problem is suspected, at Stewart and Sons we offer free advice, affordable roof check ups and great quotes to perform necessary repairs. We are a team of experienced, qualified roofers and we can carry out a detailed assessment of your roof & the underlying structure to provide you with the best and most cost effective solution.
We repair leaking tiled roofs, flat roofs and industrial membrane roofs, fixing the leak and addressing the long term health of your roof. We are based in Liverpool and provide roofing solutions to St Helens, Bootle, Crosby, Waterloo, Widnes and the surrounding areas. So if you suspect you have a leak or want to ask for advice contact us and we’d be happy to help.